The Youth Leadership Project provides extensive training in diversity, empathy, and conflict-resolution for young adults who form a vibrant cross-cultural community and serve as mentors for the 4th and 5th graders at Mosaic’s Outdoor Project. Youth Leaders are required to attend a weekend training retreat and volunteer for at least one session during the spring and fall at the Outdoor Project.
In addition to the Outdoor Project, our high-school and college-aged participants engage in leadership and volunteer opportunities at Mosaic events, workshops, fundraisers, and service learning projects.
Next Youth Leader training weekend is March 23-25, 2018 (spring season).
Youth Leaders will also participate as cabin leaders in at least one 4-night/5-day session of our residential program near Santa Cruz between April 16-May 25, 2018 for the spring season and/or September 17-October 26, 2018 for fall season.
- Facilitate games/activities that encourage students to appreciate and respect themselves and others.
- Provide a nurturing, safe, and fun learning environment for our students.
- Share your unique experiences, talents, and skills with our community.
- Learn leadership skills and put them to use with younger students.
- Keep up with academic studies during daily study hall while at the Outdoor Project.
- At least 15 years old and a sophomore in high school.
- Interest in learning leadership skills.
- Interest/experience in working with children, especially ages 9-11.
- Interest/experience in human-relations/diversity/cross-cultural education.
- Interest/experience in music, theater, and arts & crafts.
- Certifications in CPR, first aid, and lifeguarding are a plus.
- Stamina to work long, but rewarding hours.
- Ability and desire to live and work in a tight-knit, diverse community.
- Passion for youth development, social justice, and creating peace!